so
adverb /səʊ/
/səʊ/
Idioms (表示程度)这么,这样,那么,那样,如此 - Don't look so angry.
别那样怒气冲冲的。 - There's no need to worry so.
没必要这样着急。 - Why has it taken so long?
为什么要这么久? - That wasn't so bad, was it?
没那么糟吧。 - so… (that)… She spoke so quietly (that) I could hardly hear her.
她说话轻得我几乎听不见。 - What is it that's so important it can't wait five minutes?
什么事这么重要,不能等五分钟? - He was so impressed that he jumped up and down with excitement.
他印象深刻,激动得上蹿下跳。 - She gets so caught up in her fame that she neglects her true friends.
她如此沉迷于自己的名声,以至于忽略了自己真正的朋友。 - It was so incredibly cheap it was unbelievable.
它非常便宜,令人难以置信。 - so… as to do something I'm not so stupid as to believe that.
我还不至于傻得连那样的话都相信。 - (formal, especially British English) Would you be so kind as to lock the door when you leave?
请您离开时把门锁上好吗?
Homophones sew | so | sowsew so sow/səʊ//səʊ/- sew verb
- You should sew that hole up before it gets any bigger.
你应该在洞变大之前把它缝好。
- You should sew that hole up before it gets any bigger.
- so adverb
- It is unsurprising that the Beatles were so successful.
甲壳虫乐队如此成功并不奇怪。
- It is unsurprising that the Beatles were so successful.
- sow verb
- Why would farmers want to sow GM seeds?
为什么农民想要播种转基因种子?
- Why would farmers want to sow GM seeds?
- Don't look so angry.
很;极 - I'm so glad to see you.
见到你真高兴。 - The girls looked so pretty in their summer dresses.
姑娘们穿着夏天的连衣裙显得非常漂亮。 - I was pleased that so many people turned up.
我很高兴这么多人来了。 - We have so much to do.
我们有很多事要做。 - It's so good to have you back.
有你回来真好。 - We've worked so hard to get to this point.
我们已经努力工作到这一步了。 - They came so close to winning.
他们差一点就赢了。 - You're going to Harvard! That's so great!
你要去哈佛了!太棒了! - Their attitude is so very English.
他们的态度是十足的英国人的态度。 - The article was just so much (= nothing but) nonsense.
那篇文章纯粹是胡说八道。 - I am so pleased with this new book.
我对这本新书非常满意。 - (British English) He sat there ever so quietly.
他静悄悄地坐在那儿。 - (British English) I do love it so.
我实在是太喜欢它了。
- I'm so glad to see you.
) not to the same degree用于比较 不如…(这么…);不像…(那样…) - I haven't enjoyed myself so much for a long time.
我好长时间没有这么快活了。 - I have never felt so humiliated in my entire life.
我一生中从未感到如此羞辱。 - It wasn't so good as last time.
这次不如上次好。 - It's not so easy as you'd think.
不像你想的那么容易。 - He was not so quick a learner as his brother.
他学东西不像他哥哥那么快。 - It's not so much a hobby as a career (= more like a career than a hobby).
这与其说是爱好,不如说是职业。 - (disapproving) Off she went without so much as (= without even) a ‘goodbye’.
她连声 “再见” 都没说就走了。
- I haven't enjoyed myself so much for a long time.
- used to show the size, amount or number of something
(表示大小或数量)这么,那么 - The fish was about so big (= said when using your hands to show the size).
那条鱼差不多有这么长。 - There are only so many (= only a limited number of) hours in a day.
一天不过这么几个小时。
- The fish was about so big (= said when using your hands to show the size).
(指刚说过的事物)这样,如此 - ‘Is he coming?’ ‘I hope so.’
“他来吗?” “我希望他来。” - ‘Did they mind?’ ‘I don't think so.’
“他们有没有介意?” “我想没有。” - If she notices, she never says so.
就算她留意到,她也从来不说。 - I might be away next week. If so, I won't be able to see you.
下星期我可能外出。要是那样,我就见不到你了。 - We are very busy—so much so that we won't be able to take time off this year.
我们很忙,忙得今年都没时间休假了。 - Programs are expensive, and even more so if you have to keep altering them.
买软件很贵,要是老得更换,那就更贵了。 - I hear that you're a writer—is that so (= is that true)?
听说你是作家,是吗? - George is going to help me, or so he says (= that is what he says but I am not sure if I believe him).
乔治会帮我,他是这么说的。 - They asked me to call them and I did so (= I called).
他们要我叫他们,于是我就叫了。 - She leaked the story to the media and, in so doing, helped bring down the president.
她把这个故事泄露给媒体,这样做有助于推翻总统。 - He thinks I dislike him but that just isn't so.
他以为我讨厌他,其实不是那么回事。
- ‘Is he coming?’ ‘I hope so.’
也 - Times have changed and so have I.
时代变了,我也变了。 - ‘I prefer the first version.’ ‘So do we.’
“我喜欢第一稿。” “我们也是。” - Temperatures are rising in Canada, and so too are the annual blueberry harvests.
加拿大的气温正在上升,每年的蓝莓收成也在上升。
- Times have changed and so have I.
- used to agree that something is true, especially when you are surprised
(尤指感到惊讶时表示同意)的确如此 - ‘You were there, too.’ ‘So I was—I'd forgotten.’
“当时你也在那儿。” “是啊,我给忘了。” - ‘There's another one.’ ‘So there is.’
“还有一个。” “可不是吗。”
- ‘You were there, too.’ ‘So I was—I'd forgotten.’
- (informal) used, often with a negative, before adjectives and noun phrases to emphasize something that you are saying
(常与否定词连用,置于形容词和名词短语前以加强语气) - He is so not the right person for you.
他这个人绝对不适合你。 - That is so not cool.
那实在不怎么样。
- He is so not the right person for you.
- (informal) used, especially by children, to say that what somebody says is not the case and the opposite is true
(儿童常用以反驳对方)偏偏,就 - ‘You're not telling the truth, are you?’ ‘I am, so!’
“你说的不是实话,对不对?” “就是实话,就是!”
- ‘You're not telling the truth, are you?’ ‘I am, so!’
- used when you are showing somebody how to do something or telling them how something happened
(演示或描述事由)这样 - Stand with your arms out, so.
两臂伸开站着,像这样。 - (literary) So it was that he finally returned home.
就这样,他终于回到了家。
- Stand with your arms out, so.
词源adverb Old English swā, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch zo and German so.
Idioms
and so forth
(also and so on (and so forth))
- used at the end of a list to show that it continues in the same way
…等等;诸如此类 - We discussed everything—when to go, what to see and so on.
我们什么都商量过了,什么时候走、看什么等等。
- We discussed everything—when to go, what to see and so on.
(all) the more so because…
- used to give an important extra reason why something is true
(表示另外的重要原因)尤其因为 - His achievement is remarkable; all the more so because he had no help at all.
他的成就非同一般,而由于他没有得到过任何帮助,更显不凡。
- His achievement is remarkable; all the more so because he had no help at all.
… or so
- used after a number, an amount, etc. to show that it is not exact
…左右;…上下 - There were twenty or so (= about twenty) people there.
那儿有差不多二十个人。 - We stayed for an hour or so.
我们待了一个小时左右。
- There were twenty or so (= about twenty) people there.
so as to do something
- with the intention of doing something
为了做某事;以便做某事 - We went early so as to get good seats.
为了占到好座位,我们早早就去了。
- We went early so as to get good seats.
so be it
- (formal) used to show that you accept something and will not try to change it or cannot change it
(表示完全接受)就那样好了 - If he doesn't want to be involved, then so be it.
要是他不想参与,那就随他的便好了。
- If he doesn't want to be involved, then so be it.
so much for something
- used to show that you have finished talking about something
(表示就某事讲完了)关于…就讲这么多,…到此为止 - So much for the situation in Germany. Now we turn our attention to France.
德国的形势就讲到这里。现在我们来看看法国的情况。
- So much for the situation in Germany. Now we turn our attention to France.
- (informal) used to suggest that something has not been successful or useful
(表示行不通或没用)作罢好了,快别提了 - So much for that idea!
快别提那个主意了!
- So much for that idea!
so… that
- (formal) in such a way that
这样…为的是;如此…以至 - The programme has been so organized that none of the talks overlap.
日程做了精心安排,以使每一讲都没有重复内容。
- The programme has been so organized that none of the talks overlap.