than
preposition, conjunction /ðən/, strong form /ðæn/
/ðən/, strong form /ðæn/
Idioms (用以引出比较的第二部分)比 - I'm older than her.
我比她年龄大。 - There was more whisky in it than soda.
那里面的威士忌比苏打水多。 - He loves me more than you do.
他比你更爱我。 - It was much better than I'd expected.
这比我预料的要好得多。 - You should know better than to behave like that.
你应当明白事理,不该那么不懂规矩。 - I'd rather email than phone, if that's OK by you.
如果你认为可以的话,我想发电邮而不打电话。
- I'm older than her.
- more/less/fewer, etc. than used for comparing amounts, numbers, distances, etc.
(比较数量、距离等)多于,小于,少于 - It never takes more than an hour.
所用的时间从不会超过一个小时。 - It's less than a mile to the beach.
离海滩不足一英里远。 - There were fewer than twenty people there.
那里有不到二十个人。
- It never takes more than an hour.
- used in expressions showing that one thing happens straight after another
(表示一事紧跟另一事发生)就 - No sooner had I sat down than there was a loud knock on the door.
我刚坐下就有人大声敲门。 - Hardly had we arrived than the problems started.
我们刚到,问题就来了。
- No sooner had I sat down than there was a loud knock on the door.
词源Old English than(ne), thon(ne), thænne, originally the same word as then.
Idioms
other than usually used in negative sentences通常用于否定句
除…以外 - I don't know any French people other than you.
除了你,我不认识别的法国人。 - We're going away in June but other than that I'll be here all summer.
我们六月份外出;除此以外,我整个夏天都在这里。
- I don't know any French people other than you.
- (formal) different or in a different way from; not
不同;不同于;不 - I have never known him to behave other than selfishly.
我从没见过他不自私。
- I have never known him to behave other than selfishly.