goodness
noun /ˈɡʊdnəs/
/ˈɡʊdnəs/
[uncountable]Idioms 善良;优良;美德 - the essential goodness of human nature
人性善良的本质 - evidence of God’s goodness
上帝仁慈的明证 - (formal) At least have the goodness (= good manners) to look at me when I'm talking to you.
我对你说话时,你至少应该看着我。 - We like to think that goodness exists in everyone.
我们愿意认为每个人都有善良的一面。
Which Word? good / goodnessgood / goodness- The noun good means actions and behaviour that are morally right. You can talk about a person doing good:
名词 good 指有道德的行为,指人做好事可用 do good: - The charity does a lot of good.
这家慈善机构做很多善事。 - the difference between good and evil.
善与恶的区别
- The charity does a lot of good.
- Goodness is the quality of being good. You can talk about a person’s goodness:
goodness 意为善良,可指人的美德: - Her goodness shone through.
她显然非常善良。
- Her goodness shone through.
- the essential goodness of human nature
(尤指有益健康的)精华,营养,养分 - These vegetables have had all the goodness boiled out of them.
这些蔬菜的营养都被煮掉了。 - Branches pruned from the trees are shredded so the goodness goes back into the soil.
从树上修剪下来的树枝被切碎了,所以这些精华又回到了土壤里。
- These vegetables have had all the goodness boiled out of them.
词源Old English gōdnes (see good, -ness).
Idioms
God/goodness/Heaven knows (informal) Some people may find this use of God offensive.
- used to emphasize that you do not know something
(强调不知道)谁知道,天晓得 - God knows what else they might find.
谁知道他们还可能找到什么。 - ‘Where are they?’ ‘Goodness knows.’
“他们在哪儿?” “天晓得。”
- God knows what else they might find.
- used to emphasize the truth of what you are saying
(强调所言属实)老天作证,确实,的确 - She ought to pass the exam—goodness knows she's been working hard enough.
她应该考试合格,她已经够努力了。
- She ought to pass the exam—goodness knows she's been working hard enough.
Goodness! | Goodness me! | My goodness! | Goodness gracious!
- (informal) used to express surprise
(表示惊讶)天哪,啊呀 - Goodness, what a big balloon!
啊,好大的气球呀! - My goodness, you have been busy!
天哪,你一直在忙! - Goodness me, no!
天啊,不!
- Goodness, what a big balloon!
honest to God/goodness
- used to emphasize that what you are saying is true
老天爷作证;说实话 - Honest to God, Mary, I'm not joking.
老天爷作证,玛丽,我不是开玩笑。
- Honest to God, Mary, I'm not joking.
out of the goodness of your heart
- because of kind feelings, without thinking about what advantage there will be for you
出于好心(不从中捞取好处) - You're not telling me he offered to lend you the money out of the goodness of his heart?
你该不是说他是纯粹出于好心才主动借钱给你的吧?
- You're not telling me he offered to lend you the money out of the goodness of his heart?
thank God/goodness/heaven(s) (for something)
- used to say that you are pleased about something
谢天谢地 - Thank God you're safe!
谢天谢地,你平安无事! - ‘Thank goodness for that!’ she said with a sigh of relief.
“这可要谢天谢地!” 她宽慰地舒了一口气。 - Thank heavens I've found my keys.
谢天谢地,我找到了我的钥匙。
- Thank God you're safe!
to God/goodness/Heaven
- used after a verb to emphasize a particular hope, wish, etc.
(用于动词之后,强调希望、愿望等)的确,真 - I wish to God you'd learn to pay attention!
我真希望你能学会集中注意力!
- I wish to God you'd learn to pay attention!